Saturday, June 09, 2012

We're Home!

At 12:40PM CDT, Friday afternoon, June 8th, 2012, our little Andrew set his feet on US soil and became a US Citizen!  The flight from Hong Kong actually went very well - thank you so much for praying.  The kids took turns playing with my tablet, then slept a little, then played some more, ate some, slept some more, well you get the picture.  The battery on the tablet died about an hour outside of Chicago, which was about the time we had to put it up anyway - that tablet has been quite an asset on this trip ...

The now famous window at the Hong Kong Airport :>)

Waiting to board the plane in Hong Kong

Finally on board and ready to start the long journey to Chicago
By the time we goth through Customs and to our gate for the final leg of our journey to Atlanta, we only had about 30 minutes, so we indulged one last time and got the kids something to eat at McDonalds (let's just say the last meal on the plane was not one of their favorites ...).  They slept almost the whole way from Chicago to Atlanta, which was OK, but made bed time a little harder.

Lois' Mom, sister and brother-in-law were waiting for us when we got to the airport and my Dad and sister walked up to the baggage claim area just as we finished retrieving our last bag.  We are so thankful for our families and so excited that some of them were able to meet us at the airport and welcome us home.  My sister took pictures that I'll post later ...  It has been a wonderful 2 1/2 weeks, but we are very glad to be home.

Andrew wasn't at all excited about being confined to a car seat on the ride home, but he did OK.  After a brief stop so Grammy could welcome her new grandson home, we headed home.  Duchess was beyond excited to see her family once again - and Andrew seemed to take an instant liking to her (even though he was very afraid of the dogs at the park in Guiyang); another small miracle from our Father :>)  Andrew immediately spied the tricycle's in the garage and he and Hannah rode around the driveway for at least an hour (they needed to burn off some energy :>)  My Dad and sister were kind and gracious to stop by the store and pick up a few essentials to tie us over until we can make a family outing to the store :>)  Then it was bath time and bed time.

Andrew woke up at 2:30AM, and started crying - I think he was confused and disoriented.  Mama got him up and put him in the bed with us.  He finally went back to sleep around 4:30 and slept until 6:30 - not too bad for our first night home.  Hannah slept through the night ...

Today has been a good day.  We played outside this morning (it was really nice and cool). then played around the house most of the day.  We've been able to find things that Andrew will eat - and that's a good thing.  Our first few weeks home with Hannah were a real struggle trying to find things she would eat.

With each passing day we are learning what it means to be a family of four (well five, if you count Duchess, and she certainly has some adjustments to make as well :>)  We are constantly amazed at how well Andrew is doing, and we are so thankful for his foster parents who did such a good job preparing him for us and this time.  God is good!


Virginia said...

Welcome home Cooke family!! I have really enjoyed following along with all of the photos and stories and videos of your adorable boy. Hoping and praying for a smooth first few weeks home.

Gin =)

Linda said...

Great to have Andrew home with us. What a beautiful family!!!!!!