Monday, June 07, 2010

We are officially TB-negative!

Howdy - David here. A few nights ago, I mentioned a video of the medical clinic where Hannah had her examination. Since we had to go back to the clinic today, I thought it would be appropriate to post it now, so here it is:



Speaking of the medical visit, we are officially TB-negative :>) Woo Hoo! That means we can come home as soon as we get Hannah's Visa (which should be on Thursday). The TB reading went very well - Hannah started to cry when Lois wheeled her up to the Nurse's desk to read her PPD placement, but it was over before she could really start. So, it was a non-issue, which is a good thing ...

Before I get into the days stories, I have another first to tell you about.  Last night at dinner, Hannah finally giggled :>)  It wasn't much, but it was definitely a giggle.  She has also giggled a few times today as well, mostly after Lois or I build a tower out of the stacking cups and then she knocks them over.  It is good to hear her begin to laugh out loud.  She still isn't talking (well, just one word here and there), but we know that will come with time ...

OK, so on with the days events.  Today was shopping day, and in honor of our new little fashion queen, thought I would tell you a few stories.  It all started in Nanchang.  Lois' sister Harriet had given Hannah some white sandals that we have with us.  After getting Hannah, we realized the sandals were probably too big, but we decided to pull them out and see how big they were.  All we did was match them sole-to-sole with the shoes she was wearing, I didn't even think Hannah had seen them - but when we started to put the new sandals away (they were at least 1/2" - 3/4" too big), Hannah grunted and stuck her foot in the air, as if to say, "Hold on there, let's give these things a try, shall we?"  So, Lois and I obliged.  Here is the photo I took:


See that silly grin?  I'm in big trouble ...

So, I told you the story of the Qi Pao yesterday (she will get to wear it one more time tomorrow as we will make a special trip to take a picture on the fabled red couch at the White Swan Hotel).  Last night our whole group went out for dinner to a Malaysian restaurant around the corner, and Lois decided to put Hannah in a dress that Molly, Lois' former Chinese teacher (whom we saw in Shanghai), gave her.  We put her down in front of the mirror and saw that same silly grin - this is really not good ...  Here is the resultant picture (unedited and uncoaxed - completely spontaneous):


Today was shopping day and one of the things Lois wanted to get Hannah was some more shoes (she would like to put away the shoes that Hannah came from the orphanage in).  As soon as we wheeled Hannah into the little shoe store, her eyes kind of glazed over in sheer delight - not a good sign ...  Lois found a cute pair of  soft leather shoes with butterflies on them, and then we decided to get her a pair of tennis shoes.  I found a really cool pair of orange and blue ones :>) Lois and Hannah found a pair of white and pink ones with sparkles (ooohhhhhh).  Guess which pair won out?  In the end the sparkly ones were 7x cheaper than the orange and blue ones, so maybe she was just trying to save me money, maybe?  Here is the resultant picture, again uncoaxed and unedited:


Quite the model, no?  I am in deeeeeeep trouble ...  If we can keep her shopping the 50% off sales, at least it won't be that bad ...  Lois found her some jeans (get this, Calvin Klein for $8 :>) a top and some socks, and that rounded out our day.  I just walked into the room where Hannah and Mama are sleeping and this is what is at the foot of Hannah's bed:


Yes, I can hear you snickering even now ...  And that's not all of the shoes - we also have a pair of red ones that match her Qi Pao around here somewhere ...

This evening we took a river boat cruise on the Pearl River.  It was very nice and the weather we great.  Guangzhou is about equal with Key West (or perhaps further south), so it can be really hot and humid here, but this evening was cool, with a nice breeze.  Here are a couple of pictures (not my best work, but we were trying to light Hannah and get the background lights - Hannah was enjoying herself though):



Tomorrow it's the zoo!  Until then ...

5 comments:

champagne said...

Hi David and Lois, my dad gave me your blog-site address. I can just tell you, I have a 27 month old girl and she is the same with shoes much to my David's dismay! We sent him out to get her a new pair of "super-fast" running shoes as my kids call them and Samantha sent him back to get the pink ones because she didn't like the neutral ones he picked and refused to wear them if they weren't pink! She has more shoes than I do! Have fun with it, it will be good for stories when she is older. She looks very happy and loved, that is wonderful to see. And as far as the talking goes, my son was 2.5 before he started talking and it takes even longer if they have to learn a new language, just keep that in mind! Soon, you won't be able to have any quiet time!!!

Anonymous said...

I have been giggling; I confess. I remember a time my mother sent my father with me to buy a new dress. Well, needless to say, we came back with more than one dress. My mother asked him why I had more than one dress. He told her that they all looked good on me. So mom never requested him to take me shopping again. And they were pretty dresses!!!!!!! Wait until she starts talking and using just the right words. Reuben always said that he needed something; it was never that he wanted anything. I have wanted to tell you that girls need more than two pair of jeans. I also asked Rene' one time if he realized how expensive girls were. But we are worth it!!!!!!!!!!
Ya'll will need a suitcase just for shoes. HA! HA! I can't wait to hear the "Rest of the Story".
Linda

Virginia said...

Oh my, yes you you (and maybe your wallet) are in for it. But she's so worth it =). It looks like she's doing amazingly well, she looks so happy. Look at that huge smile of hers in the last photo..for that matter, Daddy is smiling pretty big, too. I just love seeing her with her Mama and Daddy..finally! Oh and that's great news about the negative tb test!

Gin =)

Sherrill said...

The posts, pix, and YouTube videos are great! I'm so glad you're sharing the events of "Happening Hannah." We're getting to see a bit of her personality before meeting her. It looks like y'all are having a great time with her in spite of her meltdown. Unfortunately, that goes with the territory. She obviously is adjusting amazingly well to her new parents. She is a blessed little girl, and the two of you are blessed parents.

Love to you all,
Sherrill

Anonymous said...

We are a Lifeline family, currently waiting, and I thank you for sharing about your trip! Your daughter is beautiful, and I praise the Lord for the wonderful gift He has brought you!